Monday 22 August 2016

The Demo Has Begun

Last Thursday Chris sent us the first (of I'm sure MANY) draft of the plans for the upstairs.  First off, sorry everyone.  No sneak peaks until the final product.  Second, we have spent the past few days looking and discussing over and over different parts of the plan.  Some we LOVE!  Some were no surprise.  Some were "I LOVE what Chris did here!!" And some were "Uh... now that I see it in the plans I don't know if I like it anymore."  And finally, as I type this, I realize that I need to email Chris to organize a few things.  He mentioned he wanted to come back for a few more measurements.

The nice thing about receiving the plans was that it lit a fire under us that we really needed.  The demo is so large and with no garage, we have spare beds, luggage, tools, Christmas wrap... pretty much anything you have in your spare rooms and or garage... we live with in the upstairs.  PLUS building materials we have begun to collect for future projects.  But stuff or not, the demo must be done.

We put the scaffolding together and moved a bunch of stuff out of the way.  Will climbed up and decided to pull down some of the faux wood paneling.


Here we go!




As soon as Will broke threw the drywall the first question I asked was "How is the tin ceiling?!" These are the first looks at it.




At first look, I think we will be able to restore the tin as we did in the front hallway.  It will mean scraping off the old paint but it will be well worth it!

We decided it was enough for one day and started up again a few days later.


Will decided that he was going to take down as much as he could, so he pulled down the paneling from the walls too.

 

At this point I took a step back and realized we were officially not only in a demo again, but a renovation.




I'm so thankful we have our space in the basement that is nowhere near the dust and rubble.  Living in the middle of a renovation is hell.  We have made it so we can walk away at the end of a day and not even see the renovation.

With a lot of hard work, Will was able to get the paneling off the ceiling as well as the drywall to the end of the wall.

 

I can't express enough how excited I am that the tin ceiling is looking like it will be usable.  This is a picture from one end of the wall to the other.


As long as people were careful when they placed the paneling on the center of the ceiling we should be able to keep the entire ceiling as tin.  We will most likely need to buy one more level of scaffolding as you can see where Will is able to reach to.


I felt a little useless when Will was in the middle of demoing.  My job this time around is to keep the little one out of the dust.  An important job but not as hands on as I'm use to being.


So this is what we will be doing for the next little while.  Demo and trips to the dump. Hopefully we can coordinate so the demo will be finished and we can begin the official renovation shortly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment