Tuesday 29 July 2014

Upstairs Hallway

If you have been keeping up with my blog you will know that not only are we renovating the basement but also the hallway from the front door down to the door leading into the basement suit.  We have tin ceilings that we have wanted to try to keep as close to original as possible.  We were a little worried since there was some missing in the foyer with the church bells. 

You can see under the access to the attic there was about 3 feet of tin trim missing.


Rick never ceases to amaze me.  He explained that he could just climb into the area that we kept with a lower ceiling and take some of the trim from there.


When he came out he had pulled off more than enough trim to work with.  I tried to help with the cleaning and bending the trim to what we needed but really, Rick gets all the credit for how fantastic this ended up looking.  If you don't point it out to people there is no way anyone would see it was ever missing.


The next issue was what to do with how badly the paint was pealing from large portions of the ceiling.


We really liked the look of the gray but since the ceiling was already painted white at the front door, we would paint this ceiling white too.  First we needed to scrape off the flakey paint.



Once that was done the painting could begin.


We also decided to freshen up the ceiling at the front door.



Once the ceilings were done, we began to work on the walls and windowsills.







All the guys tease me because I always seem to take pictures of them up on ladders.  William finally got me back. 




I really enjoy the last picture.  It is a good contrast of how small I look compared to how big the church actually is!  I am procrastinating with this blog post as I should be working on some thesis work.  The plan is I will pick William up and we are heading out tonight right after work.  We are hoping to have the painting officially finished tonight.  We really only have one more coat of paint in the windowsill on the right in the picture, and scraping paint off the windows in the other two.  From there, this weekend is going to be all about sanding and refinishing the hardwood.  THEN we can finally put up the chandeliers.  Soon!  I will have completed pictures soon!

4 comments:

  1. Just kidding. I love it. Keep the blog posts coming, and hang out with me. Love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel very lucky today because I found this blog. I was born and raised in Indian Head and still live here (geez, that makes me sound old somehow and I'm a young 50 something). I've been in your church many times....as a kid I went to service there. My cousin was the officiant for a few years until he retired. I love what you are doing to the building and wanted to thank you for seeing the beauty left in it. Welcome to Indian Head. I hope you love it here as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda thank you so much for this! We are going to be working on the church for the majority of this coming weekend (we are so close that we are trying to come out after work and every weekend till it is move in ready). Please feel free to drop by and have a walk through. I would love to hear how everything was set up when it was in its glory. And I am sure you would like to see what we have done and what our plans are. Thank you again for the kind words. You have totally made my day!!

      Delete