Sunday 8 June 2014

Taping and Mudding the Front Foyer

I have a difficult time expressing just how high all our ceilings are.  When you say "our ceilings in the front foyer are 15 feet" it sounds high but I don't think many actually comprehend just how tall that is.  The majority of these photos I've tried to give an idea of not only what we have been up to, but also just how high a space we are working with.

We had drop ceiling in both the foyer and the landing where the church bells are.

Foyer before


After


Landing before

After


When I was out last week doing my best to help out, Al (my contractor) and I did the taping and the first coat of mud. Or should I say, Al was VERY patient with me while he taught me how to mud and tape correctly.  If I do say so myself by the end I was doing not bad!

Looking up



View from atop the scaffolding

 


The guys we hired to do the taping and mudding for the basement began yesterday.  Hopefully they will be done to begin painting this week.

I am happy to say that the windows are done and they look GREAT!  I am so glad we decided to open them up and show them as they were originally.


Al told us tonight that random strangers in town have been coming up to him expressing how much they like how the windows look.  It's nice to know people have approved the change.  We keep reminding ourselves that yes, we are in the process of creating our dream home but this building once (and to many still) meant a whole lot to the town.

1 comment:

  1. Well, this is unique! A church being turned into a house? I'd certainly want to know how this turns out! And it's great that the townspeople liked what you are doing with it. I'd have to say on that last photo, it truly looked like a house, so I guess you're moving in the right direction. Aside from having really high ceilings, what other challenges are you encountering?

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete