Sunday 1 June 2014

All Done the Drywall, One Door Down, and some Stairs

It is official, the drywall is all up! The kitchen was the last room to be completed.  Here it is as you are about to walk into it.  The door at the back left corner is the furnace room.


And here is the opposite view.  Huge built in pantry!


The next step is the taping, mudding, and sanding.  I helped with this stage when we had the bedroom built in our current house.  It is a TERRIBLE JOB!!!  Our contractor is getting someone else to complete this.  Which is great because he is helping us with a project upstairs (but I will leave that for another post).

For those that have been keeping up with our adventure, you will remember the doors we decided to strip the paint off and sand down.  We FINALLY finished one of them.  This has been a job when we have finished other projects or between them. 

The door with no paint, but you can see all the scuff marks.




As we were stripping off the paint I kept making comments like "why would anyone want to cover up such a beautiful door?!!"  Perhaps they didn't want the very dirty/dusty job of sanding them down.  Here I am with my new favorite toy, the mouse sander.  Unfortunately this picture does not show just how dirty and dusty I was at this point.


And here is the finished product aka my labour of love.




The smell of the wood was fantastic!  It almost smelt spicy.  We are thinking they are made from cedar.  I love real wood.  These will receive a coating of lacquer, but I am going to try to keep them as true to this colour as possible.

We have been busy trying to tackle as much as we can when we are getting work done.  One of the little jobs that we have started is the front stairs.  They are made of concrete and will eventually be jackhammered and replaced with a deck of some sort.  For now we ripped off the nasty indoor/outdoor carpet that eats away at concrete if it is on for years and years.


The carpet ate away at sections of each stair.  We would like to try to patch this and perhaps cover it with a coating we found that is meant for garage floors.  It is slightly textured and comes in different colours.

Finally, today we picked out and ordered our kitchen cabinets.  This was WAY more of a hassle than I care to discuss.  This was my view for almost THREE HOURS...


This was such a headache.  I won't go into it as it will just irritate me again.  They are paid for and we pick them up on Tuesday.  Thank goodness!!  Almost done with the choices and purchases!!!

1 comment:

  1. Those doors are awesome. One door opens and another closes on the O'church. What's old is new again. Haven't seen you guys in forever, I am a good painter..... Would lend an afternoon to you!!!

    ReplyDelete